KITCHEN PROJECT



I am hoping that I will be able to do something about my kitchen very soon. Its been doing my head in for such a long time and needs to get sorted! I've always had trouble designing my own home, give me someone else's space that needs designing and it's easy peasy lemon squeezie. But my own home I find very challenging, I change my mind on styles and vibes so much nothing gets completed. Plus, the hardest client I've ever had (well he's one of the top on the list of nightmare clients) is my hubby and trying to get him to LOOK at my ideas is like trying to get blood from a stone. The last time I asked him to participate and take a look at my new ideas for the Kitchen, he remarked he was going for a long walk on a short pier! Anyways, I have a few projects to finish up and then I should be able to start the kitchen, plus I've posted about it now so I must attempt to at least start my kitchen project soon.



I have a solid oak kitchen and most of my friends in the US say to paint over it "its just Oak". This is hard for me because oak is a very sort after and highly prized timber in the UK. The oak tree was used to make galleons ships in the 16th century, it was used in buildings and furniture. It's an expensive wood, plus I've always really like it's colour and grain. All theses factors made me think twice about painting over my existing cabinets. 

BUT, I have lived with this kitchen for too long and its just too much WOOD even if it is oak, time for a change! 



Lots of ideas for staining or solid colour, grey's and off whites is the direction I want to go, but what shades of grey's and whites? 



I love the Ocher colour against this charcoal almost black colour of the cabinets.




I always thought the darker grays would be the palette of choice but I really like this light grey and I like  the idea of the island painted in a darker shade. 
Mixing it up with different shades may work, the upper cabinets a lighter grey colour to the lower cabinetry? I was at one point thinking about leaving some of the existing detailing of the oak wood just raw and mixing it with solid colour but I think that's too complicated and too messy.



Again, the warm Ocher colour of the wood, against the charcoal grey.  






Beautiful colour wash, I love the texture of the grain.



This is my worry, yuck! This is a disgusting kitchen and it looks like it has a satin gloss finish which just doesn't help matters. It's a nightmare of a wood finish — pukie peachy looking wood!




I feel better now looking at this image below, the one above disturbs me. I frigging love this back splash, I'm thinking I could hand paint this idea?



Island idea, but grey?




Seating ideas for the island





Painted brick, brilliant, I love the colours.



Concrete countertops.



This kitchen is one of my favorites, the contrast of the orange wood chairs, dark cabinets and the crisp white walls, everything about this spaces is brilliant.



Again one of my fav's, warm yellow/orange ocher's with grey and white.



YUCK! This is my kitchen on the day we moved in......  I'm ashamed to say that it don't look much different now. It's a lot a lot of wood, time to get painting or staining me thinks!! 



Comments