BOBBY HILLSON

When I was studying A Level Art at college my teacher gave me a book to study of illustrations for Biba Fashion Boutique. I love that book and admired the fashion illustrations so much I was tempted to steal it from my teacher (I was young and silly), who I had never really got on that well with. The issue being she ALWAYS wanted to listen to Morrissey and I thought it was just too melancholy for an Art class, I would change the music every time she left the room. She did not appreciate that and I think we were just very different people and butted heads on lots of subjects. But, by my second year of A Level Art, I matured, it suddenly it become very real to me that I wanted to study fashion and textiles at University and I needed my teacher, Sue, to help me get there. I started to respect and admirer her knowledge and her exsentric side. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't pinch that book and now and then I like to listen to a little Morrissey.

With the ease of the internet and a photographic memory (well, for a few things), I found the illustrations I drooled over back in the mid 90's as an aspiring designer.

The illustrator - Bobby Hillson

Back in the 1960's they didn't let photographers into catwalk shows, they used illustrators like Bobby!
Bobby Hillson's career included working for a variety of Condé Nast publications including Vogue, she later work for a couple of British news papers and she was present at Coco Chanels comeback show in the mid 50's.



SarahMayGinger-6464resize1

bobbyfeature


Biba Girls 

SarahMayGinger-6467resize3

London Collection, John Cavangh, The Observer 1965

1968




The blog Mrs Textiles helped me find these wonderful images of Bobby's work.

Comments

  1. A photographic memory? That’s really awesome! They say a person who has a photographic memory is really smart. Thanks for sharing your experiences, it’s quite hilarious. It’s really true, we owe a lot to our mentor. Anyway, hope you’re doing great! Hope to hear more of your funny experiences! Ciao!


    from Amber Stone at PhD Programs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment